Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gary Gygax, 1938-2008

I'm searching, in vain, right now, to find a quote that fits this moment. I can't find one, really, probably because I never knew the man, never brushed shoulders with him at a crowded convention, or even wrote to him. I can't, of course, deny the impact he's had on my life. Before the Trollwife became the Trollwife, and we were dating over a distance of 300 miles, it was D&D, played over AOL or IRC, that kept us close. This game, and its many imitators, have always been there for us. When times were tough, when sanity hung by a thread and money was tight, we could always turn to our imaginary worlds for comfort, for wisdom, for inspiration, and perspective. Even before I met the woman who would become my wife, friendships were forged in both victory and defeat around dining room tables, or around the campfire.

So while I can't speak of the man, I can let his own words say what his work has meant to me: Enjoy, for this game is what dreams are made of!!

Godspeed, Mr. Gygax.

UPDATE: More here, but be patient. A lot of people are hitting it today.

2 comments:

Lea said...

It was an honor studying under him in college.

This sums it up for me, and I'm sure he'd agree =)
http://xkcd.com/

trollsmyth said...

ROFLOL! That's a great comic.

(Perma-link: http://xkcd.com/393/)

What subject did you study under him?